In your comments, feel free to address some or all of the questions presented.
You are also free to discuss the devotional reading outside of the study guide questions.
Sunday questions are from the study guide supplied by Brethren Press.
1. What moments this past week fostered a sense of fear, uncertainty, or dis-ease?
2. Where did you sense God’s presence and peace this week?
1. Read John 1:1-5. What stood out to you in this reading of the text?
2. This text starts, “In the beginning . . . ,” which echoes the creation story found in Genesis. Yet, creation isn’t mentioned in this text until verse 3. How does the idea that God is eternal—predating creation—provide comfort in fearful times?
3. Utqiagvik, Alaska, is in the middle of more than sixty days of darkness. Located north of the Arctic Circle, this town doesn’t see the sun for more than two months. Conversely, from early May to early August, the sun never sets. What life changes might come from a life of endless days? Is there any correlation to a life of faith lived in boundless light?
4. The Greek word logos is translated in verse 1 as “word.” It also means principle of divine reason and creative order. In a world searching for order and purpose, how might this understanding of “the Word” bring hope?
5. As you think about the coming year, how might you reflect the light and love of Christ and make the “Christmas spirit” last?